Instal and install
Both ‘instal’ and ‘install’ are correct in the UK. ‘Install’ is usually used in the US. Choose one and don’t swap between the two in the same piece of writing.
The following all take double ‘l':
Are you looking for an easy-to-understand guide to punctuation, grammar and writing well?
- easy-to-understand explanations of many aspects of grammar and punctuation that commonly cause confusion;
– clear instructions on the correct use of possessive apostrophes, commas, speech marks, hyphens, and semicolons;
– definitions of commonly used foreign words and phrases;
– clear explanations of word classes, including nouns, adjectives and verbs; and
– a brief guide go politically correct writing.